Learn about the psychology of animals
Understand animals and what causes them to act the way they do. You’ll gain a sound foundation for dealing with animals in any situation and be able to put them at ease. Ideal for pet owners, breeders and pet shop staff, through to animal welfare officers, zoo workers and carers. Perfect if you want to start a business doing animal training, grooming or dog walking, or if you would like to volunteer at an animal shelter.
Duration study load
80 hours (approximately 10 hours per module). Learn at your own pace, but ideally complete one module per week.
- Learn to manage dogs, cats and other animals, whether as pets or working animals
- Help train working animals such as blind dogs, sniffer dogs or sheep dogs
- Lay the foundation for a career change
- Better understand your family pets
- Take the first step towards working with animals professionally!
8 modules / 8 assignments. Includes case studies, quizzes and written assessments.
Maya Tooley-Taiuru"I chose to go through the career academy because it was a perfect way for me to be able to study from home and be able to pay off weekly was fantastic and made it the perfect choice for me. Once I adjusted to the online format of learning I’ve really enjoyed it."
- What is behaviour
- Purpose of animal behaviour
- What motivates behaviours
- Behaviour types: reactive, active, cognitive
- Learned behaviours: classic conditioning, reinforcement, extinction, operant conditioning, Skinner’s experiments
- Other influences: external stimuli, internal stimuli, physiological responses, psychological responses
- Observing animals
- Understanding basics of genetics
- Terminology e.g. alleles, allelomorphs, genes, phenotype, mitosis, homozygous, genotype etc
- Environmental affect
- Innate behaviour
- Interaction between different species
- Case study: Inherited traits in horse behaviour
- Animal communication and perception
- How animals perceive things
- Types of stimuli; visual, auditory, tactile, chemical
- Monocular and binocular vision
- Neural control
- Biological clocks
- Sun compass
About The Career Academy
The Career Academy offers a range of employer recognised courses as well as specialist courses to improve job performance. Our focus is on mentoring, inspiring and supporting people through training so their career or business can reap the rewards. The Career Academy’s course delivery is flexible, so our students can study with minimal disruption to their daily life. We offer flexible payment plans so anyone wanting to learn has the opportunity no matter their circumstances.